Sunday, March 10, 2013

From Inspiration to Completion


Part of my master plan for this year was to create enough work to be able to apply for a few "real" art shows.  For the past six months I have been diligently working toward this goal - painting paper, ripping paper, placing paper - lots and lots of paper going down on the canvas.  Once I had completed about 20 pieces, I start to look at art show applications.  One wants you to submit work on a CD,  one wants a shot of your booth (full of art, of course), one wants to see your creative process from start to finish.  From start to finish?  Okay. I can do that.

First - the inspiration.  I usually go to my personal friend, Mr. Google, for this part.  I have an idea for a hummingbird.  I do a search which leads me to this: The fiery-throated hummingbird.  Mother Nature is a great artist, isn't she.


Next, I laid down some paper on my board - I work on two projects at a time.

 
Covered the papers with gesso
 

Then painted the background

 
 
Next, I made a special batch of paper with a pearl finish to match the iridescent feathers of the hummingbird
 

Tear and paste, tear and paste, tear and paste


Voila - It's done


Up close details


Now, back to the story.  I apply for my first art show with my collage work and, Holy Cow, they said Come on down, we'd love to have you.  How exciting and terrifying at the same time.  Do I have enough pieces?  How many days until the show?  40 days until the show.  Okay.  I can probably make 10 more pieces in 40 days.  I don't need to sleep or eat, right?

To be continued.....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment