Wednesday, October 22, 2014

DIY Christmas Tree Collage


I have built up my art inventory enough that I feel more comfortable applying for art shows.  As some of you may know, booth fees for these shows can range from very reasonable to quite expensive.  For the past few shows, I have created a small, inexpensive product for the sole purpose of covering the booth fee.  What better project for my upcoming December Art Market than a few Christmas tree collages.  Here is how I made them.

 
In an effort to use my "stash" of odds and ends canvases, I created these trees on 9 X 12 flat canvases that I already had on hand. I sprayed the canvases down with water and used two different blue inks to create the base background color.  After the ink had dried, I splattered and dripped acrylic paint to complete the background.
 
 
 I painted a quick guideline for my paper collage to help me gauge the tree shape.
 

 I collaged the trunk of the tree with a variety of brown papers.  Next up, I took my green papers and began to tear them into slightly curved strips of different lengths. When I had a nice pile of green "pine needles" I started to place them individually using soft gel as an adhesive starting at the top of the tree and working my way down to the bottom overlapping papers and filling in blank spots as I went along.  Adding Christmas postage stamps, glass dots, scrabble tiles, and paper stars completes the look. 


 
Fast and fun!


 



No comments:

Post a Comment